[RE-wrenches] SW series fuse rating

Bill Hoffer sunengser at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 18:05:14 PDT 2016

Rebekah

I am not 100% sure but I think that there is often confusion between max
fuse and max reverse current.  When you list a module you request a fuse
rating , in this case 4 A and UL will test it by applying a max reverse
current of 1.75(max fuse rating) or 7 Amps with out a fuse to insure that
the module does not melt down.  Basically they are adding to the fuse
rating for a healthy safety factor.  The required fuse for this application
is of course 4A.  I think sometimes manufacturers(marketers) do not
understand the difference and like to report the higher number cause it
sounds better. I have had heated discussions with module and inverter
manufacturers over this in the past.  Would be nice if the industry would
grow up and report everything the same way or at least the way that make
sit clearer for installers and inspectors!

Bill

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Rebekah Hren <rebekah.hren at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Reverse current and max series fuse are not always the same, check out
> this Solar Frontier manual, pg 3:
>

> http://www.solar-frontier.com/eng/cs/groups/co_en_product/documents/document/mdaw/mdey/~edisp/c012760.pdf
>

> Rebekah Hren
>
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Kristopher Schmid <solman at legacysolar.com
> > wrote:
>
>> I just did a class exercise using the upcoming sw290 for sizing
>> conductors and OCPD and the calculation was such that a 20 amp fuse was
>> needed (rounding up from Isc x 1.56).  I hope that the maximum reverse
>> current on the spec sheet is also the maximum series fuse rating.
>>
>> Kris
>> On Mar 18, 2016 8:56 PM, "jay" <jay.peltz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> HI All,
>>>
>>> I was looking at the SW cut sheet.
>>> It doesn’t mention series fuse rating.
>>>
>>> It does mention “maximum reverse current”
>>> Is this the same thing?
>>>
>>> Or where would I find the series fuse rating.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> jay
>>>
>>> peltz power

>>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
>>>
>>> Change listserver email address & settings:

>>> List rules & etiquette:
>>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>>
>>> Check out or update participant bios:
>>> www.members.re-wrenches.org

>> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

>> List rules & etiquette:
>> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>>
>> Check out or update participant bios:
>> www.members.re-wrenches.org
>>

> --
> Tel: 336.266.8800
> NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85
> NC Licensed Electrical Contractor

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm