[RE-wrenches] PV-direct air heating?

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Fri Mar 11 04:21:50 PST 2016

Bill,

I wish I had first hand experience with these folks. What I can comment
on is that they were IMHO the premier technically competent exhibitor
pitching solar HVAC at the AHR show. Several exhibitors shared that they
had a $10K commitment to exhibit (for just the base 10 x 10 foot booth)
and yet some folks didn't know heat transfer basics.

I can imagine that the inadequate installation of the mini-splits
resulting in unsatisfactory operation doesn't surprise you. The well
designed, well manufactured equipment is still dependent upon proper
installation to deliver the advertised capability. Even here in
Missouri, an EPA certification is theoretically required to purchase
refrigerant. Unfortunately, just like the solar industry, certification
is no guarantee of quality workmanship.

There are similar groups to the RE-wrenches in many other technical
areas. The first that comes to mind in the HVAC arena is

HeatingHelp.com

Undoubtedly there has already been discussion of the mini-split products
as they have been actively promoted for well over three years and have
justifiably been very well received by consumers. The mini-split
promotes the concept of modular HVAC something our non-oil subsidized
neighbor nations have been onboard for some time already.

I cannot agree with you more about the tech support offered by the HVAC
_manufacturers_. What helps is to understand how their supply chain,
etc. is structured. In the example of International Comfort Products
(ICP) they manufacturer quite similar products for no less than nine
"quality brand name private label products" (oftentimes distinguished
only by the label and perhaps a paint stripe). The distributor is the
front line tech support. When the distributor cannot solve the problem,
a three way conference call is requested with the manufacturer, which is
hopefully returned the same day. Not exactly timely support for the
field tech. Makes the solar tech support model look like perfection. I
don't know that other HVAC manufacturers (Nortec, Johnson Controls,
Trane,  Goodman, et.al.) work the tech support any differently.

Best, please keep us informed of your results,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094

On 3/10/2016 10:34 PM, William Dorsett wrote:

> Thanks, Bill. Do you have any fairly close connection to anyone who
> has used HotSpot’s equipment, tech support etc? I’ve put in perhaps a
> dozen Fujitsu minisplit’s as an alternative to trying to find small
> efficient furnaces…and mostly in the early installs mistakes were made
> by HVAC techs who didn’t want to take the time to make sure there were
> no refrigerant leaks under very high pressure. They’ve otherwise been
> very good. Tech support…mixed bag.
>
> The heat recovery focus of HotSpot looks very promising.
>
> Again thanks
>
> Bill Dorsett
>
> Manhattan, KS

---