[RE-wrenches] Battery Box Construction

Dave dave at independentpowerllc.com
Thu Jan 28 15:16:09 PST 2016

Ray,

As an option for the plywood box with the 10 mil poly lining. You can do two
layers of the poly liner and also protect it with two lengths of 1 x 3 wood
strapping on the floor of the box to support the heavy batteries and protect
the poly liner. I have done this for years with no problems. Cut the 1 x 3's
shorter than the length of your box and sand the wood completely with
special attention to rounding the corners and edges so that the wood is
smooth against the poly. Once you get one battery in place the wood
strapping does not move and you can pretty easily move the other cells into
place.  I sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the box before installing
the cells. The plywood has held up well for twenty years or more, even with
people who add too much distilled water > and create some electrolyte
overflow upon charging. It gets a little stinky in the box then, but the
double lined poly has never failed me because it is designed right and
installed with care.

Alternatively you can use another material to protect your poly liner such
as the polypropylene sheeting that you are thinking of using to build your
box. Again, cut it smaller than your footprint of the plywood box and round
all of the edges off the sheeting material to protect the liner from being
cut.

Dave

David Palumbo
Independent Power LLC