[RE-wrenches] Retrofit variable speed drive to old well pump?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 08:39:46 PST 2016

Esteemed Wrenches;

I have a client in a very remote mountain location who is having trouble
with his inverter starting his well pump when battery state of charge is
below 75%. 24v system, Magnum inverter.

It's a 2-wire pump, unknown age, model, horsepower, or well depth. It has
always given him trouble, that's why he upgraded to 24v, and the situation
is better, but not ideal yet. I don't think adding a hard start capacitor
would help as there should be one inside the pump itself, though I suppose
it could be blown.

Because of the distance and the rough road, it would be super expensive for
a well company to come up there, pull the old pump and set a new, modern
soft-start one.

Has anyone here had any experience with retrofitting variable speed drive
units to an unknown pump? If so, what models have you tried and what do you
prefer?

Thanks;

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor of Solar Energy Technology, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Registered Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342