[RE-wrenches] Outback Programming Update

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu Nov 17 11:10:40 PST 2016

Friends:

Here is what I have learned so far:

1. Not everyone at Outback was aware that we had almost certainly
eliminated user meddling as a possible cause.  I assured them again that
the equipment is behind a locked door.  Because they did not know this they
were not aware that the system apparently reprogrammed itself.  They now
know this.  I apologize for insinuating Outback was not taking this
seriously, they just did not communicate internally.

2. Everyone I have spoken with at Outback is concerned and acting in a
positive, professional manner to get this sorted out.

3. I can't say anything for certain regarding the cause.  The net result is
that the inverter programming was scrambled, but I won't hazard a guess as
to how this happened.

In case anyone misunderstands, I am a fan of the Outback equipment line and
of the people that work at Outback.  I just have concerns about the
software.  As equipment becomes more software intensive and more connected,
 even the best hardware can be rendered inoperative by software problems.

Several of you have contacted me off-line asking to be kept updated.  I
will continue to do so.  It is most efficient for me to do so on-line.  If
the information is not of interest to most of you I can easily take this
off-line.  I trust Michael can give me guidance on that point.

William