[RE-wrenches] Sanyo HIT panel warranty

Kirk Herander vtsolar at icloud.com
Tue Aug 23 10:33:42 PDT 2016

Hello,

I recently upgraded a 12 year old Sanyo HIT 167 watt (14 total) array to a
Solaredge system while adding two strings of LG 315's.

Every time there is rain or heavy condensation the inverter shuts down with
a ground fault error. I was able to isolate the error to the old Sanyo
string. The Solaredge diagnostics estimated the fault was in the middle of
the string. So we went up on the roof with a garden hose and trickled water
on each panel individually, while meggaring the string at the roof combiner.
Sure enough, the moisture infiltration was in the middle panel of the
string, just as the Solaredge IRT test predicted. Good job Solaredge.

These panels are circa 2004, so I'm wondering who the US contact is to ask
about warranty issues. Has Panasonic taken over warranty claims on old
Sanyo's? I know this model isn't made anymore, but maybe there is some
remuneration offered. Thanks.