[RE-wrenches] Radian GSLC

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Thu May 12 11:52:05 PDT 2016

Wrenches:

The recent topic about bypass connections for the Radian is a very
pertinent issue for anyone designing a Radian system.  The problem is
exacerbated by what I perceive is one poor design aspect of the GSLC
cabinet.

I generally like the Radian series, including the GSLC.  I do find it
puzzling that installers are expected to make connections to the rear of
panel mount circuit breakers.  This has to be done blind and in very tight
quarters.  This is further complicated by the expectation that one will
install AC *and* DC circuit breakers in the same panel.

We have tried leaving slack on the leads so the panel can be rotated, but
that leaves more lead length than the cabinet will handle.

Our solution is to move all AC breakers out of the GSLC and into adjacent,
off-the-shelf load centers.

We put the minimum PV breakers in the panel, located at the top for maximum
latitude on tilting the panel out for access.  We also pre-install the
breakers in the panel in a bench vise with extra lead length and install
the panel as a unit, hopefully never requiring access to the rear again.

I applaud the GSLC as a decent product, but it does need improvement in
this area.

Sincerely,

William Miller

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]