[RE-wrenches] Outback Programming question

Travis Jordan travis at jordansolar.net
Mon May 9 12:48:16 PDT 2016

I resonate with Lonus' point on generator run time without the charger
being on, I see no point...

One of my many "oops" stories on this topic: I set up a customer on DC gen
to "solve" a problem about ten years ago in the mountains of N Idaho and
the following scenario occurred:

1) The generator charger got accidentally turned off by a "helpful"
caretaker trying to reset an error on the Mate after he started the
generator because the batteries were low.

2) The panels were covered with snow,

3) The customer was gone for the winter and the system was unattended

4) The DC Gen option did not have "max run time"

5) Two weeks of incessant run time later the generator got turned off
manually by the caretaker, the batteries were still not charged, and the
LARGE fuel tank was almost empty.

Point learned? Think through a few scenarios when I deviate from "normal"
Outback generator settings in the future!

This story has obvious connections to the post earlier about what to do
with batteries when the system is unattended, I followed that discussion
intently and agree with what has been said... I only offer this in
reference to the generator charger discussion.

Travis Jordan
travis at jordansolar.net
travis at mtsolar.us