[RE-wrenches] Rapid Shutdown

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Mar 15 09:01:53 PDT 2016

Greetings Esteemed Wrenches:

I've just heard back from our inspector here in Colorado, and we are
still being required to disconnect the batteries under 690.12.  No where
in 690.12 are batteries mentioned, nor in the appropriate 690.71 section
that deals with batteries.  The entire reasoning behind this is based on
a single article written by a single person: Bill Brooks.  I have
contacted both Outback and Magnum on this issue, and their engineers are
unaware that rapid shutdown applies.
My interpretation is that I could install an inverter and battery system
that was charged from a generator, and we would not need any rapid
shutdown at all.  But according to Bill, as soon as I put a single solar
module into the system, suddenly the entire system becomes PV? The
problem lies with the term 'PV System circuit'  used in 690.12.  690.2
Defines 'PV Output circuit', and 'PV source circuit', but there is no
'PV system circuit' defined.  690.12 therefore uses an undefined term.
Our design uses 2 inverters, so if we used Midnite's E panel with their
remote trip breakers, the 2nd inverter would be more than 5 ft from the
batteries.  If we used Magnum or Outback DC disconnects (that would
comply with the 5 ft rule specified in 690.71) they don't offer remote trip.
We have a Midnite Rapid disconnect Combiner on the roof with the
Birdhouse, so we are complying with 690.12, it should not be applied to
batteries though.

Thanks,

--
R.Ray Walters