[RE-wrenches] Voltage Triggered Power Modulation Chilicon Microinverters

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 21:30:42 PST 2016

Hello Wrenches,

Does anyone have experience with Chilicon Microinverters?
http://www.chiliconpower.com/

We do very few straight grid-tied systems, however, these micros are
interesting because they have a built-in and adjustable function that
modulates the power output based on the AC voltage at their terminals.  I
don't know the exact numbers but I believe it ramps from 100% power output
starting at 255VAC ramping down to 0% output at 265VAC.  My interest in
these micros is for AC coupling applications for backup during grid
outages.  I am curious if you are islanding a backup loads panel, and the
batteries are full and loads drop lower than the microinverter output, if
the battery inverter will allow the AC waveform to creep up in a way that
would allow the power modulation to take place.

Is this a way to get reliable 3 stage charging when the grid is down
without a DC charge controller or a diversion controller?  How does a
battery based inverter decide its time to do a frequency shift (or trip a
relay) to throw the microinverters off-line?

Normally, my preference is to DC couple or use a Sunny Island for these
battery backups, but the rapid shutdown compliance really adds a lot of
cost to these approaches on roof-mounts.

Thanks in advance

--

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*