[RE-wrenches] Old Net Metering

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Feb 9 11:22:57 PST 2016

Greetings Esteemed Wrenches;

I just received an interesting call from an owner of a late 1990s
vintage GTB system here in Colorado.  (Trace SW4048 I'm guessing) The
tenants had disconnected the grid for almost 2 years and lived in the
house off grid.  They had also done many scary wiring "upgrades" using
speaker wire out of the main AC load center.
The tenants are gone, the AC load center was cleaned up, and the owner
wants to reconnect the GT system, but the utility is not allowing it
since they were disconnected for 2 years.  I'm still trying to find out
what the requirements are, but I wanted to ping the list and see what
experience anyone had, and what requirements might be placed in this
situation.
It seems to me that this system should be grand fathered in and not be
required to meet more than 1999 NEC, but I've never dealt with this
scenario before.  Requiring this to meet 2014 NEC would be insane, and
even meeting 2008 NEC would be a deal killer, as the old SW inverters
were not UL 1741 compliant.  (wasn't even around in 1998 I believe)
My plan was to inspect the entire system, retorque connections, perform
any necessary repairs, and just confirm compliance with NEC 1999.  There
would be little point, if the utility or AHJ required compliance with a
newer code though.

Thanks as always for any assistance,

--
R.Ray Walters