[RE-wrenches] grid tied systems with seperate generator back up

Daniel Tittmann daniel at greenwired.com
Fri Feb 5 10:33:28 PST 2016

Esteemed colleagues-

We are finding more and more clients with existing utility back up
generators that are wanting grid inter tied solar systems.  Many of these
clients are not willing to go the extra mile to interface the solar system
with the back up gen.  I am wondering if any of you out there have found
simple fail safe solutions for preventing generator back feed when relays
and switch gear are difficult or impossible to implement.

 I have been thinking perhaps a large enough diode on the gen output could
do it, but then what happens to the grid tied inverter when there is no
where for the power to go?

I know this is vague, but I am searching the hive to see if there is a
better way to make these customers happy and make the sale.

Thanks
Daniel

Daniel Tittmann
CTO