[RE-wrenches] Larger batteries

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Tue Dec 15 10:32:50 PST 2015

Ditto here too.

98% of my clients use the HUP and its bomber I have a client that is over
20+ years at this point. With regular EQ as required by SG readings, Battery
bar maintenance, watering, & testing they just keep going. I have a 14 year
old set I pulled out of a clients house during an upgrade to a much larger
system and they are doing exceedingly well in float mode in grid tie. I EQ
once a year for grins but SG readings have not indicated it was required.

Sets I installed in Washington 21+ years ago are doing well from reports
there too. If you look at the specs on 50%DOD & 80% DOD I have not seen any
other manu with a comparable spec. www.hupsolarone.com  check it out.

I went to larger batteries 26 years ago & HUP when NWES made them available.
Less cells to water, less connections to address issues with, less cables to
crimp & protect from acid, & almost 0 battery bank change out once in to
HUP. I have replaced a few large Rolls with HUPs & problems went away.

The down side is handling. I now own a 3 ton - single axel trailer with an
overhead I-beam that extends off the back with jacks on the rear to
stabilize and a 1.5 ton set of chain falls to deliver & set. Once it hits
the ground we use a safe mover (rated at 1985# each) to roll into place.

The cells do come out but jeez what a back ache.

What will I install when I go off grid here in the next year? That's still
to be determined but its either going to be HUP or possibly Aquion... Just
not sure the price difference will be worth it.  I know the HUP as an
installer and a home owner and I have total faith in them as the best FLA
battery currently available.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc -  NABCEP # 051112-136

E - dana at solarwork.com  - Web - solarwork.com

O - 970.626.5253  C - 208.721.7003

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"