[RE-wrenches] Secure/support PV wire requirements?

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Wed Dec 9 12:30:11 PST 2015

Ben:

Yes, we do use this technique on roof mount systems as well.  This is true
for micro-inverters and string inverters alike.  The PVC holds trunk cables
and DC cables alike.

The attention we pay to detail does add to the cost of our jobs.  The
development time adds to the production costs.  The Holy Grail is to
develop processes that are quick, efficient and use off-the-shelf
components.

You know what 1-1/2” PVC costs.  We can mill 500 feet of conduit in an
hour, enough for 150 modules.  One person can do it safely, two is
quicker.  Development is again crucial—we built a jig that guides the
conduit and cuts the slot in one pass.  Add stainless cable ties and the
total material costs is about $2.50 per module.  The clips are made from
the conduit scraps.  The slot is widened with PVC cutters and they clip
right on.  This is a very solid method.

Sure the cost adds to the bottom line, and sure we lose some jobs due to
higher costs.  The decision to do what I do is a personal, ethical
decision.  I have a deep sense of satisfaction in a job well done and in
occupying my mind and hands improving my craft.  Marketing is key.  Not
everyone can afford a Mercedes but some can.  I need to convince potential
clients of the difference between brand Miller and the rest.

I see the problem as a failure of regulators to insist on safe practices
on-par with other branches of the electrical industry (try running
unprotected wires to an air-conditioning unit and see if you get away with
it). The good news:  the situation is gradually improving.

Thanks for asking.  These problems and solutions are of great intrigue to
me.  I hope others on this list are willing to improve their techniques and
that I can help in some way.

Sincerely,

William Miller

By the way, Bill Brooks wrote an article addressing the specific of USE and
PV cable management.  I can’t lay my hands on a copy but if anyone is
interested and can’t find a copy on-line I will look further in my files.

Wm

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]
Lic 773985
millersolar.com <http://www.millersolar.com/>