[RE-wrenches] Outback customer service?

Rebekah Hren rebekah.hren at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:43:43 PST 2015

Advice I often give to students in PV classes: if you are trying to decide
between two similar pieces of equipment at a similar cost (rack, inverter,
modules, whatever), try calling the tech support line to ask a technical
question and see what happens. Does anyone answer and how quickly? If so
does that person have a clue as to how to answer your question? If they
don't know how quickly can they get you to someone who does? I know things
wax and wane over time at any company, but you can sure learn a lot about a
company calling the tech support line before you spec equipment.

I would just add that it's pretty amazing Midnite puts their tech support
folks names, phone numbers and email addresses on their website. I don't
think I've seen any other PV company do that.

Rebekah

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 5:15 PM, Starlight Solar Power Systems <
larry at starlightsolar.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I only had the option to leave a message and after about 1 hour on hold I
> did so. That was a week ago. I had not heard of calling at a specific hour.
> Is this something they suggest? Where did you hear of this 0700 calling
> time?
>
> Larry
>

> On Dec 8, 2015, at 3:00 PM, Peter Parrish <peter.parrish at calsolareng.com>
> wrote:
>
> Phil Undercuffler has the title of Chief Technologist, Product Development
> – or something to that effect. I suggest not trying to reach him with
> run-of-the-mill issues, but if your want to engage him about future product
> development, or to get confirmation about utility issues, NEM 2.0, industry
> trends, etc. he is the best person at Outback Power to talk to. If you want
> to know more about how to program the Radian Series, he could point you to
> the right person.
>
> I think a lot of problems with Outback can be traced to their off-grid
> history…
>
> Has anyone tried to make a telecon appointment with Outback Tech Support:
> call them at 0700 h PT and ask to get a call back at a certain time later
> in the day?
>

> -          Peter
>
> Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D.
> President, SolarGnosis
> 1107 Fair Oaks Ave.
> Suite 351
> South Pasadena, CA 91030
> (323) 839-6108
> petertor at pobox.com

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Tel: 336.266.8800
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ 091209-85
NC Licensed Electrical Contractor