[RE-wrenches] module hot spots

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Sun Nov 22 10:52:40 PST 2015

On 11/22/2015 9:43 AM, Marco Mangelsdorf wrote:

> I’m pleased with my Flir 4…cost me about $1,000.
>
> marco

I looked at the FLIR 4 and the similarly priced Fluke and went with
the FLIR based on the comparisons.

I would like to check out Dan's $250 Android solution.

In the end, it probably doesn't make a big difference if the cells
are not well matched in temperature but that I-V curve is
very revealing to show if there is really a problem or not.
That is, unless it is SO hot that it degrades too quickly.
If one hot cell were to actually "burn out" and open up
before the performance warranty, I have a feeling that
the manufacturer, (if still in business), might not honor that
warranty for a defect like this.  The  I-V test would be
good to check before the manufacturing defect warranty
is up.  Those warranties are usually what ?....  Around 10 years ?

BTW, I checked our modules' temperature difference while
short-circuiting the module so there would be maximum
current.

boB