[RE-wrenches] traveling with digital meters

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 08:54:32 PST 2015

The weirder and more complicated and more expensive the equipment looks,
the more likely you will be hassled in my experience. Cases in point:
~ New DMM almost yanked at US customs in Vancouver because it looked "new."
Tried to explain currency exchange rate. Package of dessicant burst in DMM
hard case. Looked like crack cocaine. Solution: smear with mud, get Global
Entry card.
~ Really nice guarded ceramic 3-pole knife switches at Sinsa hardware in
Managua, Nicaragua, perfect for wind turbine stop switches.
Bought 2 dozen to bring home at $3 each. Colleague held at gunpoint by the
Nica army on the tarmac under the plane for 20 minutes while trying to
explain what they were with no knowledge of Spanish. Solution: order by
mail, don't fly with weird looking stuff, ship it DHS in advance and ship
back home  post-job..
~ Bear banger flares required 24/7 on PV install job in northern BC. Had to
use a couple. Every tool bag, all luggage, half my clothes. all
contaminated with explosive residue from using the flares on the jobsite.
Set off every explosive detector from Smithers to Vanc to Sea-Tac to,
finally, Denver. Checked bags of tools arrived in approx 2 weeks.
Within the USA, I have not had many problems, but in foreign countries, all
bets are off.

Best regards;

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342