[RE-wrenches] Generac EcoGen Failure.

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 11:31:31 PST 2015

You do need a service tech on staff to be a service dealer. Otherwise you
are just selling the product.
In order to be a service tech you need to attend training every two years.
I have to travel from the Caribbean to Wisconsin to take the training at my
own expense, they don't provide hotel anymore.
The aim is to ensure properly trained technicians. Generac pays us to do
the services, something most solar manufacturers won't do.
You are in a pretty unique position, not having any service dealers close
by. However, Generac may agree to pay the cost to bring a service tech to
your site. It is their responsibility to do the service.
In one case they flew a tech to the Caribbean to service a commercial unit.
Now they just send them to me.
If I can assist you remotely I will. Send me an email off list with a full
description of the problem and I will see what I can do.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Luke Christy <sgsrenewables at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Wrenches,
>
> I've installed quite a few of the small 6 kW Generac EcoGen units for my
> off-grid customers and have been pretty pleased with them…up to now. The
> 15kW EcoGen unit recently became available and I commissioned one last week
> for a nearby off-grid site. The generator ran fine the first day, then the
> very next day I got a call from the customer saying that the genny auto
> started, ran for less than an hour, then started sounding funny and shut
> off with an error alarm. I made a site visit to check out the problem, and
> found that it would not start. Some further investigation suggests that
> there is some electronic control issue keeping it from running. The error
> code suggests a component failure.
>
> This is a brand new generator with less than 3 hrs of run time.
>
> The real issue I'm facing is that despite the fact that I am a Generac
> "Dealer", Generac refuses to give me access to Tech support or to help me
> with any troubleshooting over the phone. I can't get access to any service
> manuals or, really, anything unless I pay them ~$2k to become a Service
> dealer by attending some Tech training classes and buying a  bunch of spare
> parts I will likely never need. In general I'm not opposed to doing this as
> I work on generators all the time and it would be a good niche for my area,
> however it wouldn't help in this case, and I'm not exactly eager to pay
> Generac for training after the brushoff I got when I talked to Customer
> Support about this issue.
>
> Generac says my only option to get any kind of help or service on this
> generator is to contact a Service dealer. As I am based in rural Southern
> CO, the closest Service dealer is 3-1/2 hrs away. Of course this leaves me
> in a lousy position and makes it nearly impossible for me to help my
> customer in a timely manner, as it might take a week to get someone out
> here and then I'll likely have to pay for the drive time because the
> warranty won't cover anything over 100 miles round trip.
>
> I have to say I'm pretty much appalled at this lack of support for an
> obvious warranty issue with a  brand new product.
>
> I know we've had some Generac discussions on here before. Seems like we
> may even have a couple of Generac Service folks on this list. Any advice on
> how I could get some troubleshooting help without bringing someone in from
> halfway across the state? Or does anyone know of a good Generac forum where
> I might be able to get some help?
>
> Thanks as always. I appreciate this list.
>
> -Luke
>
> NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional™: Certification #031409-25
> NABCEP Certified Solar Heating Installer™: Certification #ST032611-03
>
> Solar Gain Services, LLC
> PO Box 531
> Monte Vista, CO. 81144
> SGSRenewables at Gmail.com
> 719.588.3044
> www.sgsrenewables.com

> [...]

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts