[RE-wrenches] Current limiting fuse at battery bank

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Sat Oct 24 08:17:09 PDT 2015

Tom:

Here's how I approach this subject:

In general there are two places to insert OCPDs to protect wire and
devices:  Upstream or downstream.

For a vast majority of circumstances, it is preferred to place protection
upstream, for obvious reasons.  This is not to say protection cannot be
placed downstream.  This is done for taps and service entrance conductors.
The philosophy is to minimize the probability of failure on the upstream
side of the protection and the OCPD protects the upstream circuit from
downstream faults.

I think the same criteria applies for battery lead protection as it does
for taps and SE cables:  Minimize the risk by keeping leads short and
protected from damage.

If you follow these practices you can eliminate the need for fuses in
proximity to the batteries.

William

PS:  This relates to my complaints about the Sunny Island systems lack of
BOS.  If you use the Midnite Disconnect, it mounts right under the SI
inverter.  This can often be too far from the battery bank.

Wm

Lic 773985
millersolar.com
805-438-5600