[RE-wrenches] Current limiting fuse at battery bank

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 07:30:10 PDT 2015

Esteemed Wrenches;
This creeps me out too and sometimes causes lack of sleep.
The Midnite Solar power panel install manual shows no OCPD on in DC + main
from battery bank to power panel. Easy to wire the main DC breaker to
control those conductors, but then you have a "self destruct" switch if
system shutdown and restart is not done in the proper order, IE PV and wind
turbine shut down first before battery bank.
For a class T fuse on the battery bank, it's a big $ ordeal because it has
to be outside the battery box in an enclosure per NEC.
So, recently I've just been making sure the conduit from DC battery mains
is sound up to the power panel. The only issue I can see is mice chewing
2/0 cable inside the battery box -- which means the box wasn't designed
right to exclude rodents, or the owner has a lazy cat.
I'd feel much  better if there was an OCPD NEC legal to attach right to the
main battery DC + and wire from there to power panel, but I don't think
that exists.

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342