[RE-wrenches] to flash or not to flash

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Fri Aug 28 13:13:56 PDT 2015

Benn,

To answer your (good) question one way, I won't speak for PV without
flashings, but with literally tens of thousands of solar pool heating
systems installed by all dealers that don't use flashings just in tiny
Southwest Florida over the past 40 years, each system with upwards of 40
attachments with 1/4" lag screws, many with sub-par sealants, statistically
we would have seen drastically more problems, and we haven't. Roof leaks
are exceedingly rare and minor. Granted, it's not the same as PV in many
ways, so I would be careful about drawing any conclusions.

I wish there was a better way for solar pool heat, but even the cheapest
flashings can add 10-15% to a project, making it non-competitive in a very
tight market, and metal flashings could cut into the polymer panels very
easily. The "tried and true" method has been too successful to stray from.

I'm sure there are unique experiences from around the country with snow,
freeze/thaw cycles, expansion/contraction, and other phenomenon that could
differ drastically from place to place. Maybe we're trying to shoehorn a
single solution into a problem that has more than one answer.

Jason Szumlanski