[RE-wrenches] Rapid Shutdown Battery Systems

Tump tump at swnl.net
Wed Aug 26 16:41:12 PDT 2015

Rapid shut down, should be the direction we as off/grid or on grid BB installers should be moving towards..... kinda like my flashing rant, we are in the 21st century and we ARE professionals!  We as an industry should be more concerned about fire fighters and their safety BEFORE they goose step their ideas into industry requirements, like they did in Mass. Educating your fire fighters as to the location of the bird house and locking it would be a quick solution to the malicious shutting off of a system. FF do carry and do use bolt cutters.

On Aug 26, 2015, at 7:26 PM, Ray Walters wrote:

> [...]
> 690.71 requiring a disconnect near the batteries, is still applicable, but it is really unclear how exactly the 5 ft should be measured.  The battery combiner box from Midnite is what I was looking for, Thanks Tump.  I plan to have breakers on the 2 separate parallel battery strings, so I think I will be able to make the 5 ft rule.  Before, the furthest inverter disconnect was definitely going to be beyond 5 ft from the battery.  I am still considering including the battery disconnects in the Rapid Shutdown system, but as Phil pointed out: this defeats the purpose of having a backup system, if anyone can just walk up to the outside of the house, push a button, and shut down all your critical loads.
> Once again, its all going to come down to the AHJ's view, though I will do my part to put him in touch with folks like Phil, who as the manufacturer's rep of the UL listed product has some say on how their equipment is to be installed.
> R.Ray Walters
> CTO, Solarray, Inc
> Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
> Licensed Master Electrician
> Solar Design Engineer
> 303 505-8760
> On 8/26/2015 4:44 PM, Tump wrote:
>> I know that IF the SMA SI  master inverter is shut down then all follow, shunt trip breaker only for the master? Also look at the Midnite MNBCB 1000/50
>> (Previous Model Num: MNBCB-1000/50-Battery Combiner)
>> MidNite 1000amp battery combiner box
>> Includes a 1000amp Positive and Negative bus bar with 3/8 inch studs.
>> On Aug 26, 2015, at 3:39 PM, Ray Walters wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Wrenches;
>>>
>>> I have an upcoming project to be inspected, ,and having spent too much time on off grid and out of country work, I'm now playing catch up with the new 690.12 and 690.71(H) requirements.
>>> The proposed GTB system is 3 Radians with a ground mounted 18kW array and large HUP battery bank.  I just read a Bill Brooks article that basically says that Rapid Shutdown not only applies to ground mounted arrays that come into buildings, but also applies to battery cables if longer than 5 ft.
>>> There are 690.12 compliant combiners from Midnite that work with their Birdhouse system, so I think I've got a handle on the array requirements (more or less).
>>> What is stumping me is how to feed three 8kW inverters from a large battery, and install auto disconnect breakers within 5 ft.
>>> 1) the disconnect has to be large enough, Midnite only makes a 250 amp remote trip breaker, so I'd have to parallel 3 of these?
>>> 2) 690.71(H)3 says the breaker can't be in the battery enclosure, which is tricky since the enclosure is 160" long from one end to the other with 2 parallel strings.