[RE-wrenches] Standing metal seam clamps

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Aug 14 09:20:41 PDT 2015

Drake,

For reference, I’d say that we need to pinch/crimp seams on 80% of our
standing seam installs in order to get the S5 clamp to fit. As long as some
cardboard is used to avoid scratching the galvanized-like coating
(Galvalume, for example) we haven’t had any corrosion issues with S5
clamps. I’ve gone back to inspect systems that were installed several years
ago in our Bay Area semi-coastal environment and there may be a little bit
of rust, but nothing serious. The stainless set screw almost certainly
pierces the metal coating but the rust doesn’t get far. This could be a
completely different story in an extreme coastal environment like parts of
Florida, Hawaii, etc – but then again, I don’t even know if standing seam
metal roofs are used in those areas.

-August

PS: I like the idea of duckbill vise grips! We’ve typically used
medium-large channel locks to crimp the seams but I think the duckbill
clamp is potentially more elegant.