[RE-wrenches] Using the North Facing Roof

billbrooks7 at sbcglobal.net billbrooks7 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 31 16:57:09 PDT 2015

Jarmo,

Your intent was laudable, but simple trigonometry just flat out fails with the complexity of solar geometry. PVWatts is so easy to use that anyone, without any knowledge of trigonometry, can use it with far more accurate results. Take advantage of nice, free software that your tax dollar paid for many years ago.

Your harvest calculations don’t take into account about 20 factors that impact solar energy on a PV array. You are only looking at instantaneous sunlight at noon on a south-facing surface. There is almost nothing that we can learn from that simple of an analysis which is why we turned to simulations over 25 years ago. I have all my complex geometry sun position equations from the solar class I took in 1985, but to calculate energy from those equations requires hourly weather data and a computer—no other method will work. PVWatts does this.

Use PVWatts and continue to advocate the installation of PV modules wherever they make economic sense—north, south, east, or west.

Bill.