[RE-wrenches] Using the North Facing Roof

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Mon Jul 27 22:21:14 PDT 2015

I recently read a short piece that caught me up short, and I quote:

“The fast dropping cost of solar, while a huge boon to the adoption of solar PV, has counter-intuitively altered design parameters. No longer is the north-facing roof considered unusable because limited application in less-than optimal orientations can still show a positive net benefit. Arrays are thus designed now with elements or sub-arrays in these locations, increasing overall kW installation while reducing the energy production per capacity installed. This might have been anticipated based on sheer economic analysis from a users perspective, but so long has solar been expensive that these less optimal orientations were never seriously considered.”

I doubt that the individual who wrote this piece came to these conclusions him/herself. Does anyone know of a recent article that argued this perspective? Is this an emerging design practice? If so, I’d like to know more about it.

-          Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D.

President, SolarGnosis

1107 Fair Oaks Ave., Suite 351