[RE-wrenches] Iron Edison Batteries

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 08:43:59 PDT 2015

Hi Jay; Price, proven long-term reliability, no high-tech computerized
Battery Management System, and finally lots of questions about NiFe from
potential prepper clients.

A lot of grid-connected folks are best served by a backup generator, but
want to have batteries stored in pristine condition in their vault for
doomsday 5-20 years from now. A bank of L-16s even on careful float charge
will have significantly degraded on the far side of that time frame.

"Dry charged" FLA batteries these days are really "moist charged" IE at the
factory filled, charged to "form" the plates, and drained. That only gives
you an extra 18 months before damage occurs, maybe 3 years with a strict
rehab regime afterwards for a couple weeks (thanks to Rolls/Surrette for
that tidbet, and to my buddy at the local ATV/jetski/snowmobile/boat store
who has to mix up electrolyte and fill moist-charged batteries and put them
out on the shelves).(saves hazmat shipping fees)

Another advantage I see on NiFe cells is that you can add another string to
the battery bank years down the road.....drain and dispose of the
electrolyte in the original bank, mix and refill with fresh, and the new
string will match the old closely.You can get spare electrolyte powder from
the battery mfr packed for long term storage.

I made myself a guinea pig on these, but hey, my L-16s were shot after the
flood. I'm going to add more PV to help get that 1.65v per cell on a daily
basis, and then hopefully add battery #10 back in the string once my PV can
maintain that daily, as the inverter/charger refuses to try.

Best regards;

Dan Fink
Buckville Energy
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342