[RE-wrenches] Trina Module Annual Degradation

Peter Parrish peter.parrish at calsolareng.com
Thu Jul 16 09:08:57 PDT 2015

I have recently been in discussion with a company that builds a large number
of medium-sized PV ground mount system (30 kW to over 100 kW). They claim
that they have been seeing something on the order of 0.7% annual degradation
in the output of their systems due to intrinsic degradation in the PV
modules. They also claim that this number is supported by the PV module
manufacturer. Many years ago (2007?) I remember reading a report containing
data gathered by NREL that showed the number was about 0.4%, and I thought
the number was actually decreasing over time.

The module in question is the Trina TSM-310 (PA14.8, I believe, if it makes
any difference).

Has anyone read anything recent about annual degradation in general or Trina
modules in particular?

- Peter

Peter T. Parrish, Ph.D.
President, SolarGnosis
1107 Fair Oaks Ave. Suite 351
South Pasadena, CA 91030
NABCEP Certified PV Installer #031806-26
(323) 839-6108
petertor at pobox.com