[RE-wrenches] Mate Drop and Charge Functions

Phil Undercuffler solarphil at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 18:32:56 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I'm going to chime in here because Sandra Herrera recently took over from
Matt James as our Applications Engineering Manager and voice to the
Wrenches, but I'm not sure she's fully set up yet to respond.  If this is a
duplicate post, please forgive.

We at OutBack believe in an empowered system owner, and we want to give
system owners the tools and flexibility to manage their own power and
investment in whatever way they see fit.  The MATE3 also gives you tools to
control user access, to lock the system down to prevent inadvertent
changes, with multiple user-levels so depending upon whether the system is
managed by a tenant, a tinkerer or a technogeek, they can have the right
levels of access (or limit access if desired).

With more and more variable utility rates and demand management programs
beginning to be available, we see the Drop and Use commands being used more
and more frequently as people want to manage their grid use.  I don't see
that going away.  In terms of the Charger, the MATE3 does have a warning
screen as you cycle the Charger through On/Off/Auto, to let you know what
to expect.

William, it is the original MATE which has reached its limits in terms of
upgradability.  All future development and updates are focusing on our
MATE3 and AXS Port, and we release new features at least twice a year, if
not quarterly.  If you are afraid of homeowner "tinkeritis" you may want to
look at our AXS Port -- our most recent update to its firmware gives it all
of the intelligence and capabilities of our MATE3, only with zero buttons.
All controls are via OpticsRE, our free web portal, and you can check in on
all of your systems every morning if you wish.  If you're not happy with
the original generation MATE, I challenge you to take a new look at the
MATE3.

Respectfully yours,

Phil Undercuffler
Director of Strategic Platforms