[RE-wrenches] MidNite Solar SMA Relay Board (MNSMARB)

boB at midnitesolar.com boB at midnitesolar.com
Wed Jun 10 13:53:22 PDT 2015

After spending a lot of time and money to make the SMA Sunny Island work
with a grid tie inverter system of twice the Sunny Island capacity we
dropped the project. The problem we had is that the system is
complicated and we were spending far too much time working with the
people in the field as well as with our own internal wiring shop. We
have made changes in our own shop and can now better build these
systems. We have one customer that uses a lot of these because he
insists on putting 20 to 24KW of PV on double stacked AC coupled Sunny
Island systems. We have had no issues at all in the field when the SMARB
system is properly installed. We are very leery of opening this back up
to installers because it is quit often being installed by people who are
not really qualified to do this in the field. We have begun building
these once again for this one customer on pre-wired systems. We doubled
the price though since we were losing money at the old price. We do not
know if we will open it up for sales as a kit to be installed in the
field? For a competent installer (old off-grid guys), it is a snap. We
welcome your comments as we pride ourselves on coming up with solutions
for problems. This one turned out to be tough even for us, but once we
had it all figured out, it became a nice product, but had a bad history
of support due to a moving target of how to make it work.

Robin Gudgel

MidNite Solar