[RE-wrenches] Integrating with Lightning Protection

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Jun 4 11:37:55 PDT 2015

I think an important point, is not to connect to their system in more
than one place.  You don't want to create any loops that would pick up
the induced current from a lightning strike.  We've bonded to the
lightning rod systems at their attachment to ground.  The idea being
that if their system takes a strike, you wouldn't want any of that
current taking a parallel path through the solar equipment to ground.
The opposite argument is that you don't want large potential voltages
between the array and their lightning rods in a strike.  I don't
subscribe to this though, and think that limiting current flow through
the equipment and then using Midnite surge suppressors to bleed voltage
to ground is better.  Its difficult to test these theories though, so it
begins to fall almost into the realm of religion.  None of us completely
understand lightning.
Either way, I highly recommend bonding the grounding system to a steel
cased well and/or the rebar in the foundation (Ufer ground)
The lower the impedance of the actual grounding electrode system, the
better: that we can all agree on.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,