[RE-wrenches] Demand charges for residential

Sky Sims sky at ecologicalsystems.biz
Sun May 3 04:48:22 PDT 2015

Peak and off peak rates are pretty typical on the east coast. Residential customers usually have to request that they be put on peak off peak billing.
The fact that energy and transmission costs are usually substantially lower at night during off peak hours, is one of the reasons why utilities should be paying a higher premium for solar energy. Utilities are getting peak rate power at the point of use from solar facilities, which radically lowers their cost of supplying peak power. And then through net metering they give back cheap off peak power. The deal is currently lopsided in favor of power distribution companies.
Srec's and feed in tariffs (FIT) have historically been used to compensate solar facilities for the added value they are providing. But FIT and Srec are best suited for compensating for the more complex (health and environmental) benefits of clean non-polluting energy production. The utility company should be passing through a portion of its distribution cost savings to the solar facility. If the solar energy passes through less than a mile of public grid and coal energy has to pass through 100miles of public grid, the utility company should be compensating that solar facility for the obviously reduced expense. Net metering is a start toward proper compensation, but it does not go far enough.

Sky