[RE-wrenches] Tesla Powerwall battery paired with solar

Jason Szumlanski jason at floridasolardesigngroup.com
Sat May 2 03:59:15 PDT 2015

Yep, the calls are already flowing in. It drives me nuts when people think
a $3,000 battery is going to solve all of their energy woes. It's akin to
people asking me why a PV system is not $0.65/w installed.

>From what I read, the battery will have a DC-DC converter, presumably
400V-48V. That's how it can be connected to a standard battery-based
inverter. I haven't seen detailed specs, but the marketing fluff seems to
indicate it will pair nicely with off-the-shelf inverters, which leads me
to believe that any brand will do. I'm thinking Radian or Conext or
something like that.

I hate to be negative, but there seems to be nothing revolutionary here
except that it will be commercially available, it's consumer friendly
(cute), and financing will be readily available. There is no dollars and
cents benefit that I can see compared to existing solutions. If they can
scale it up to drop the price, then we might have something to talk about.

Jason Szumlanski