[RE-wrenches] Apprentice interview

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 17:45:15 PDT 2015

Apprentices don't need to know anything. THat's why they are in training.
And if they get it wrong, it's the fault of the teacher, not the student.
Many of you are missing my point, thankfully Richard Ratico was able to
clarify the situation. This is not about whether young people are good
workers, it is about the use and abuse of the term "apprentice". America is
too young to have a history in the guilds, but in Europe, the apprentice
system is an historic arrangement. In London, the Guild Hall is a venerable
building dedicated to the crafts. There is a lot of history there, and to
demean it by confusing apprentices with cheap labour is not the right way
to get validation for a young industry. If solar is to rank with
Electricians and Plumbers, it has to recognize the value of a standardized
education and to adopt real standards. You cannot let just any yobo call
themselves a solar installer and expect to have any credibility.

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Larry <larry at starlightsolar.com> wrote:

>  Or...
> know the difference between an amp and an amp-hour or a Watt and a
> Watt-hour?
> Or can they explain what is wrong with someone saying "amps per hour"?
> Can they explain what is wrong with this PV solar install?
>

> Ray, I hope you find a student that will appreciate the wisdom of a
> graybeard.
>
> Larry Crutcher
> Starlight Solar Power Systems
>
> On 4/28/15 7:01 PM, boB at midnitesolar.com wrote:
>

> May I please add....
>

> 1) Must know the difference between AC and DC.
>
> 2) Must be able to identify what each prong is when shown an AC plug.
>
> boB

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
>
> Check out or update participant bios:

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts