[RE-wrenches] Extreme snow load ground mount?

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Mon Apr 27 09:33:47 PDT 2015

Gravity only acts downward.  The modules are rated to 113 PSF which is
with the module laying flat.  If the module is at an angle, it can take
more downward force.
For instance if it is at 70 degree tilt, It could take a downward force
of 113 PSF / cos 70  or 330 PSF.
Its possibly reasonable to assume that the snow might not slide off, but
the total snow load is not going to act perpendicular to a tilted module.
If the AHJ wants to argue the point, ask him what the snow load
requirements are against a surface of a wall.  A vertical surface would
only see wind loading, not snow loading.

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc
Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
Licensed Master Electrician