[RE-wrenches] Off-grid deep well pumps

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.com
Fri Apr 10 10:52:54 PDT 2015

The SQ is not just a simple AC motor. It has the soft start and pretty
much all of the same features as the SQE, besides the variable speed
that makes the constant pressure work well.

http://www.grundfos.com/products/find-product/sq.html

I use SQ on my own two wells. Both run perfectly on Magnum MS4024PAE
(single inverter). Both are around 300 ft deep with ~100' static water
level. Use 3/4 HP in one and 1 HP in the other. No starting surges.
Can't even tell it is running. Can run 12 AWG wire out and down the well
and voltage drop won't cause them to run any slower.

-James Jarvis
APRS World, LLC
http://www.aprsworld.com

On 4/10/2015 12:30 PM, Ray Walters wrote:
> I think you've started a good rundown of the three pump lines, I believe
> they all use the same basic multistage pump head.  The SQ line has just
> a simple AC motor; no constant pressure, and the usual starting surge
> associated with regular AC submersibles.
>
> R.Ray Walters
> CTO, Solarray, Inc
> Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
> Licensed Master Electrician
> Solar Design Engineer
> 303 505-8760
>
> On 4/10/2015 11:25 AM, Howie Michaelson wrote:
>> Thanks everyone for the feedback - as always the best source of hands on
>> info anywhere!
>>
>> So as I understand it, the 2 basic choices are the SQ,SQE line or the
>> SQFlex line.
>> Advantages of the SQE are:
>> * cheaper
>> * Constant pressure
>> Advantages of the SQFlex are:
>> * More efficient (how much?)
>> * Can run on AC or DC
>>
>> Both are soft start, and both can run without the controller.  No
>> controller looses the display readout and a couple other smaller bells
>> and
>> whistles, but otherwise no operational change.  I haven't be able to
>> determine the difference between the SQ & SQE lines.  Are there any
>> durability differences between the SQ, SQE, and SQF lines?
>>
>> Howie

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette:
> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm