[RE-wrenches] Gen preheat in cold climates

Larry larry at starlightsolar.com
Fri Apr 3 12:22:57 PDT 2015

Hi Chris,

LP will boil (vaporize) at -44° so until your ambient temperature is
below that it is vaporizing. Heating the tank will increase the liquid
and vapor pressure in the tank but it is still liquid, not vapor, that
is plumbed to a cold regulator, or vaporizer if they have one, where the
vaporization takes place for the engine. I can't see that increase tank
temperature would solve the issue.

In 1981 I bought a truck with dual fuel capability. The J-valve
regulator had liquid heater lines from the coolant system to heat the LP
liquid at the point of vaporization. The tank was in the bed and never
heated. In very cold weather I had to start the engine on gas then
switch to LP after hot water hit the regulator. All worked well with a
warm regulator.

Larry