[RE-wrenches] ITC - updated question on post-2016

August Goers august at luminalt.com
Fri Mar 27 16:41:29 PDT 2015

Hi Wrenches,

Since we’re on the topic of the ITC, I have another question someone might
be able to help with. Assuming that a system is placed into service prior
to the end of 2016, it should qualify for the 30% tax credit. Some people
do not have enough tax liability to take the whole credit in the same year
of the installation and I believe they typically have 5 years to take the
credit. Do this apply to post-2016 as well? In other words, if a system is
placed into service in 2016 but the owner doesn’t have a tax appetite until
sometime after 2016, can they still take the tax credit (within 5 years)?
I’m assuming the answer is yes, but thought some of you might be more
versed in the tax code.

Thanks,

August