[RE-wrenches] TL Code Reference

Brian Mehalic brian at solarenergy.org
Sun Mar 22 15:03:26 PDT 2015

Whoops, hit send a little early there...

In the 2014 NEC, 690.35(B) states that overcurrent protection for
ungrounded PV power systems must be installed in accordance with 690.9.
 690.9(E) states that an overcurrent protection device must be installed on
each ungrounded conductor, i.e. both the positive and negative in
ungrounded PV power sources.  690.16(A) and (B) state that disconnecting
means be provided to for fuses energized on both sides (i.e. from parallel
connected PV source circuits or PV output circuits).

So along with 690.13, it is pretty clear that disconnects and overcurrent
protection are required on both ungrounded circuit conductors.  Now whether
or not that'll always be the case in the future is a different story.

Brian Mehalic
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installation Professional™ R031508-59

PV Curriculum Developer and Instructor
Solar Energy International
http://www.solarenergy.org