[RE-wrenches] Off grid loads Load sheet

Dana dana at solarwork.com
Thu Mar 19 10:14:23 PDT 2015

There is wide spread on the hot tubs. I have an offgrid client who bought a
super-insulated (6-12" of foam) tub that heats the water with the waste heat
from the (very inefficient) motor @ 120 vac. It went away when he was
enlightened as to how it heated the water. I did not measure the load but it
sank his battery bank.

I have measured a few sat systems;  32-35 watts/hour about the same as a
blue ray and DVD/CD player, & Routers at 4-12 watts/hr, answer mach @ 12-15
watts/hr with cordless phone charger charging, Garage door openers from
25-80 watts/hr depends on Manu, Motion detectors at 4-12 watts/hour depends
on Manu.

I have several watt hour meters I loan out for folks to do their "homework"
on their loads before I do a design that helps & I see lots of variation on
items.

2 years ago in LA, I went into Costco with my Brand watt hour meter and 60"
flat screens were pulling 65-83 watts. I was elated to find some real
efficiency and a larger screen.

I went in this last holiday season and ran the meter on the "NEW Smart" 60"
flat screens and the lowest draw was 95+ watts and a lot were in the 125+
watt range. The new 60" flat screens come with a wireless keyboard and were
full on computers with every cable and internet ready application you can
imagine.

Dana Orzel

Great Solar Works, Inc -  NABCEP # 051112-136

E - dana at solarwork.com  - Web - solarwork.com

O - 970.626.5253  C - 208.721.7003 - No FAX Line

"Responsible Technologies for Responsible People since 1988"