[RE-wrenches] Load testing Lithium battery bank

Larry larry at starlightsolar.com
Tue Mar 17 14:36:45 PDT 2015

Hi Jarmo,

One of the reasons I chose to sell and install GBS batteries is the
chemistry is safer, they have vent caps (like AGM) and they offer an
integrated solution where the battery, EMS/BMS and CPU are all designed
specifically for each other instead of adding various parts from
different manufacturers. The chemistry is LFMP (lithium iron manganese)
not LFP. There are seven monitored fault events, including temperature,
current and voltage, that will disconnect the battery from any load or
any charge source.

Since we are installing in RV's, there are multiple charge sources and
all must be controlled. The systems I design do this very well. Also,
our charge and discharge rates are far lower than the industry normally
expects; rarely reaching .5C.

I have seen private videos of destructive testing of GBS cells. Steel
rods fired through entire packs; slow crush tests from top and sides,
impact tests, even cells blown away on a gun range (that was more for
fun I think as not too likely you will experience that). No fire, no
thermal events. Bottom line for me is these are likely the safest
Lithium battery I can offer. Many customers have already had shut down
events because they were not being responsible. A simple reset and
they're back in business.

What was the lithium chemistry that you had trouble with?

Thank you,

Larry Crutcher