[RE-wrenches] Solar cooker plans request

Bill Loesch solar1online at charter.net
Thu Mar 12 03:04:38 PDT 2015

Hi Allan,

You might remember Sharkey, one of the original, perhaps founding
RE-wrenches, who has craftsman skills that would easily qualify at an
artist level. He built his own solar thermal panel and in the end
acknowledged that (even with his outstanding skills) would have been
wiser to buy (rather than build) the finished product.

The last time I looked, at least one of the solar cooker manufacturers
built their model to be collapsible into a much smaller package than the
"traditional bread box" which certainly would aid in storage and
shipping. An actual sample is IMHO so very superior to any
plans/drawings in as much as it allows the new user to maximize their
creative skills to reverse engineer their local knockoff AND compare
their results with what is available from an existing commercial
product. One of the details that I remember from some 15 years ago was
the gasketing on the commercially manufactured unit that kept the heat
in the box quite well.

In the 13th edition of the Solar Living Sourcebook, copyright 2008, the
author mentions "The non-profit Solar Cookers International group
provides cookers and simple cardboard and aluminum foil construction
plans to developing countries." A Google search yielded the result below.

solarcookers.org

Good luck,

Bill Loesch
Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar
314 631 1094

On 12-Mar-15 1:54 AM, Allan Sindelar wrote:
> Wrenches,
> Our closest rural neighbor spends part of each year in Guatemala. She
> emailed me a request:
>
>     I have a friend who can help me construct a solar oven or cooker
>     if we can find good plans.  Illustrations are the most important.
>     I have access to pine lumber, glass, but nothing too
>     technologically advanced.
>         I also want to buy panels when I get back to NM to install on
>     my home here.  I have an electrician friend with experience here.
>     Any help is greatly appreciated
>
> This is a bit off of our usual topics, but still consistent with RE.
> Can anyone send a good web link or other resource that meets this
> request? I will forward it on.
> Thanks, Allan
> --
>
> *Allan Sindelar*
> allan at sindelarsolar.com <mailto:allan at sindelarsolar.com>
> NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional
> NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
> New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
> Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
> *505 780-2738 cell*
>
> **

> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org

> List rules & etiquette: