[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island Failure and various related issues

Mac Lewis maclewis1 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 04:45:09 PST 2015

Hi William,

I want to talk directly to your problem at hand.  I think installing the
shunt and properly calibrating it, will fix this system .  In a DC coupled
system with a Sunny Island, it is imperative that you use a shunt, unless
you are using the Midnite charge controllers with the communications to
accurately report all charging (or the non-UL listed SMA charge
controllers).  There are so many functions and calculations that the Sunny
Island performs that needs accurate SOC calculations.  All of the shutdowns
that you are seeing are resulting from faulty SOC measurements.  I wouldn't
believe the reported state of health either, because it is using the faulty
SOC measurements.  Don't believe state of health until you have a couple of
months of operation with the shunt.

*Right now, with the system as is, it isn't accounting for the charge
coming from the charge controller(s)*.  It is shutting down because its
only accounting for AC power processed through the Sunny Island.  I once
had a Sunny Island system with an improperly calibrated shunt and it acted
just as you describe, strange shutdowns, bad SOC output etc.  After I got
it calibrated, it has worked flawlessly.

Take your time when you are calibrating the shunt.  Follow the (odd)
directions perfectly and it should work.  Verify Sunny Island readings
match your DC clamp meter and you should be good.

As far as SMA not having a BOS solution, its true, and you can tell that it
is not in their expertise.  I like the Midnite cabinets that are made for
the Sunny Island.  They are pricey but look sharp and are functional.

And yes, the Sunny Island documentation is very strange and incomplete and
could use a serious revision.  Some of the information must be lost in
translation.

Good Luck!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 9:40 PM, Ray Walters <ray at solarray.com> wrote:

>  Hi William;
>
> Yes I'm getting too old to let manufacturers off the hook anymore.  They
> just don't pay me enough (wink, maybe if I ever was compensated for service
> calls?)
> Unfortunately I have had the exact same experience with SMA's phone tech
> support.  I was having setup issues that were not covered in the manual and
> they acted like I was an idiot.  They walked me through it and I got it
> working , and then after I asked "where does it say that in the manual?"  I
> then recited several verses from their manual that bolstered my faulty
> reasoning. He finally mellowed out a bit, realized I was somewhat
> knowledgable, and admitted it wasn't in the manual, and that they needed to
> update it.  (hmmm...)
> Ultimately, I can deal with the attitude as long as they answer the phone
> and can fix the problem; it's better than someone being super nice but just
> wasting your time.  Of course both fixing the problem and being friendly
> would be even better.
>
> Attention SMA tech support:  William, I, and many on this list were
> installing off grid systems when you were still fudging in your diapers.
> We read the manual first, and only call when we still can't figure it out.
> We're the ones out there in the woods trying to make SMA equipment work
> while the nervous customer looks over our shoulder.
> Respect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.Ray Walters
> CTO, Solarray, Inc
> Nabcep Certified PV Installer,
> Licensed Master Electrician
> Solar Design Engineer303 505-8760
>
> On 2/11/2015 5:44 PM, william at millersolar.com wrote:
>
>  Friends:
>
> 6.    I have had a difficult time working with most of the phone support
> technicians at SMA.  From the very beginning most of them have presented an
> attitude of arrogance and condescension.  I have had the quality of my work
> called into question without any evidence to support that position.  I have
> experienced long delays in receiving replies.  I have seen technicians
> present incomplete diagnoses.  Fortunately Scoey Wildey of SMA was in town
> while we were rebuilding a commercial Sunny Boy system and he came and
> inspected our work and could vouch for it.  I have found one highly
> professional, competent person at SMA who used to be in tech support who
> will take my calls.  I’d like to give him credit but I don’t want to share
> him.  Also, Steve Jefferson and Scoey Wildey have intervened on my behalf
> on a few occasions and I am grateful to them.
>
> 7.    I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with SMA
> tech support.  If it is not just me, maybe several of us could contact SMA
> management and ask that they augment the training of the phone support
> crew.  I am sure they are capable of improving on their skills, both
> [...]

Mac Lewis

*"Yo solo sé que no sé nada." -Sócrates*