[RE-wrenches] Sunny Island Failure and various related issues

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Feb 11 20:40:04 PST 2015

Hi William;

Yes I'm getting too old to let manufacturers off the hook anymore.  They
just don't pay me enough (wink, maybe if I ever was compensated for
service calls?)
Unfortunately I have had the exact same experience with SMA's phone tech
support.  I was having setup issues that were not covered in the manual
and they acted like I was an idiot.  They walked me through it and I got
it working , and then after I asked "where does it say that in the
manual?"  I then recited several verses from their manual that bolstered
my faulty reasoning. He finally mellowed out a bit, realized I was
somewhat knowledgable, and admitted it wasn't in the manual, and that
they needed to update it.  (hmmm...)
Ultimately, I can deal with the attitude as long as they answer the
phone and can fix the problem; it's better than someone being super nice
but just wasting your time.  Of course both fixing the problem and being
friendly would be even better.

Attention SMA tech support:  William, I, and many on this list were
installing off grid systems when you were still fudging in your diapers.
    We read the manual first, and only call when we still can't figure
it out. We're the ones out there in the woods trying to make SMA
equipment work while the nervous customer looks over our shoulder.
Respect.

Thanks,

R.Ray Walters
CTO, Solarray, Inc