[RE-wrenches] Cable crimper question

Chris Mason cometenergysystems at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 09:18:20 PST 2015

I have a couple of those cheap chinese metric hydraulic crimpers. They
crimp fine, there is a conversion table in the box for AWG sizes. It's a
lot cheaper to give each crew a $40 crimper than sharing a $2,000 Greenlee,
and when the seals go you buy another one.

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 11:29 AM, <penobscotsolar at midmaine.com> wrote:

> I'm with Ray on this, Allan. 27 years of using Burndy and Greenlee
> crimpers with tinned copper lugs on battery and inverter cables without a
> failure says a lot. Like Ray, we do set it a little "tighter" than the
> scale indicates.
>
> Daryl
>

> > If there actually is a small hydraulic pump connected between those
> > handles?
> > I have had previous experience a lot Chinese hydraulics, engines,
> > generators
> >
> > Chinese hydraulics and engines have bad habits of seeping oil if not
> > downright leaking!
> > Their certainly looks like there's no room there for a reasonably sized
> > reservoir to store the hydraulic oil.
> >
> > If it's being sold for 50 bucks it's probably coming out of China for 10
> !
> >
> > Then you still have to consider the fact that if, unless it has changed I
> > believe the crimpers still need to be UL listed
> >
> > No way they're going to spend the money for that!
> >
> > Interesting toy to play with but I don't think it would hold up, do good
> > cramps or be legal
> >

> > Bob Ellison
> >
> >> On Feb 6, 2015, at 6:35 PM, Allan Sindelar <allan at sindelarsolar.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> Wrenches,
> >> Has anyone used the cheap Chinese hydraulic cable crimpers? Any field
> >> reports? Dies appear to be metric; do they correspond to AWG?     All of
> >> these kits run about $45, which is absurd, as a Klein manual crimper for
> >> up to 4/0 runs $200+, and that's what I expected to buy before I came
> >> across lots of these on Ebay.
> >>
> >> An example:
> >>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Ton-Hydraulic-Wire-Crimper-Crimping-Tool-11-Dies-Battery-Cable-Lug-Terminal-/310896486645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4862dfe8f5
> >>
> >> I'm hesitant without good reviews, but it's tempting. No lectures,
> >> please.
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Allan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Allan Sindelar
> >> allan at sindelarsolar.com
> >> NABCEP Certified PV Installation Professional
> >> NABCEP Certified Technical Sales Professional
> >> New Mexico EE98J Journeyman Electrician
> >> Founder (Retired), Positive Energy, Inc.
> >> 505 780-2738 cell

> >> List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
> >>
> >> Change listserver email address & settings:
> >> http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org

> >> List rules & etiquette:
> >> www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
> >>
> >> Check out or update participant bios:
> >> www.members.re-wrenches.org

> > List Address: RE-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org
> >
> > Change listserver email address & settings:
> > http://lists.re-wrenches.org/options.cgi/re-wrenches-re-wrenches.org

> > List rules & etiquette:
> > www.re-wrenches.org/etiquette.htm
> >
> > Check out or update participant bios:
> > www.members.re-wrenches.org

> [...]

Chris Mason
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer™
Solar Design Engineer
Generac Generators Industrial technician

www.cometsolar.com <http://www.cometenergysystems.com>
264.235.5670
869.662.5670
Skype: netconcepts