[RE-wrenches] Flying with Makita batteries in checked or carryon?

Dan Fink danbob88 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 18:18:42 PDT 2015

Esteemed Wrenches
I normally drive to jobs with my tools, or UPS ship the tools ahead of
time. This upcoming MET tower maintenance job in Nevada is too tight a
timeline to drive or ship. I figured some of you have recent experience
with this, and the rules seem to change quickly. I have to fly with my
impact, driver, 3 batteries and charger.

>From the TSA PDF (no date of course):
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

My batteries are 56 watt-hour lithium ion; I'd rather not have this heavy
stuff in my carry-on. What is "protected" for checked bags, the Makita has
a sliding sleeve. Does that count? No "spare" batteries allowed in checked
bags? I am taking this that I can bring one battery in my checked bag, one
in my carryon, and a charger? That would work.

Any input appreciated, a long security delay or seized tools would be a big
problem.

Dan Fink
Adjunct Professor, Ecotech Institute
IREC Certified Instructor™ for:
~ PV Installation Professional
~ Small Wind Installer
Executive Director, Buckville Energy
NABCEP / IREC / ISPQ Accredited Continuing Education Providers™
970.672.4342