[RE-wrenches] AC-coupling Enphase/XW Causes Flickering of Lights

Matt Sherald matt at getpimby.com
Mon Sep 21 06:18:04 PDT 2015

I wired an Enphase string into my critical loads panel at my shop.  I was
curious to see how it would work as I have customers with Enphase systems
that occasionally contact me about adding a battery backup system.

Why do the fluorescent lights and LEDs flicker once the grid power is
dropped.  The flicker seems to start as soon as there is enough sun to
power up a few of the micros (they don't even have to be making much power).

The shop is grid-tied with a XW 4024 for battery backup.  Battery capacity
is 370Ah.

I'd love an explanation as to why this happens and if there is a way to
mitigate the flicker I would also love to hear it.

Many thanks!

--
Matt Sherald
PIMBY Energy, LLC