[RE-wrenches] Non-conductive module frames

William Miller william at millersolar.com
Mon Aug 31 15:22:35 PDT 2015

Friends:

I thought I had sent a message about this to the list but I believe not.
My apologies if this is a repeat.

We have been having trouble with corrosion on an installation on a
beachfront residence.  Here is a link
<http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/marine_corrosion/Marine_corrosion.html>
to a page I wrote about this problem.

I am not a metallurgist, but I am thinking the problem is exacerbated by
circulating currents.  PV leakage is unavoidable.  The currents will
migrate to the metallic frames.  When the frames come into contact with any
other energized or bonded metal, electrolysis results.

Regardless of the exact cause, metal is the affected material.  I am
wondering if the best practice would be to eliminate as much as possible
any metallic components.  This would mean plastic framed modules and
plastic racking.

I can source fiberglass strut easily.  What I am looking for is plastic
framed PV modules.  Do any of you know of a manufacturer or distributor of
such?

Thanks in advance.

William

[image: Gradient Cap_mini]