[RE-wrenches] Solectria PVI Series inverter problems

William Miller william.miller at millersolar.com
Wed Jul 29 16:19:49 PDT 2015

Friends:

We have just begun using the Solectria PVI series inverter.  I fear these
inverters may fall off the wall.  There is no positive way of attaching the
inverter to the bracket, it just rests on there by the grace of gravity.
The bracket is very narrow, about 4 inches wide, and the height of the
inverter presents a lot of leverage on this small bracket.  The electronics
sections is seperateable from the connection box, but the connection box
will then be left floating in the air, suspended only by the conduits.

Point 2:  The manual indicates the inverter needs to be mounted on
"non-flammable" surfaces.  This makes me wonder how hot the inverter gets?
This limits mounting options:  you can't mount them on wood siding and you
can't use plywood to span studs.

Point 3:  There are also some problems with the manual.  I have detailed all
of these problems in a web page called, "What's wrong with the Solectria PVI
Series?"  The link is:

http://www.millersolar.com/MillerSolar/case_studies/Solectria/Solectria.html

I contacted Solectria about these problems and all I get are promises.

I am curious:  Does anyone else feel that this mounting system is
inadequate?  Unfortunately, we started using these just after we attended a
seminar presented by Solectria.  I was not able to ask them in person why
the PVI series inverter has such an inadequate mounting system.

If anyone else has complaints about the Solectria, I'd like to hear them.  I
am real close to banning them from our inventory until these problems are
resolved.  If there are other problems I have not encountered, I want to
factor that in to my decisions.

Thanks in advance,

William

PS:  Point 4:  Just to get all of my complaints in one place, tech support
is pretty marginal with Solectria.  A few weeks ago I called and the tech
support person did not have access to any of the manuals!  I have called
them for 4 weeks now and have not received one call back.  I called again
just now and waited on hold for several minutes, only to be presented with a
recording to leave a message.  This is pretty bad in itself, but then the
mail box was full and would not accept my message!?  This is not the
indication of a well-founded company.

William

Gradient Cap_mini
Lic 773985