[RE-wrenches] iron & aluminum

RM You solareagle at solareagle.com
Thu May 28 19:21:39 PDT 2015

Hi Wrenches, I have had a couple of customers want to fabricate their own PV pole mounts and racks out of iron. Aside from the galvanic corrosion and weight issues is there anything else I should caution these guys about? Any stories about failures etc? My druthers are to stay with the engineered aluminum pole mounts but when you’re dealing with someone with fabrication experience and the cost for pre-fab is high then the obvious outcome occurs. If the unit is properly treated/painted I imagine it could last many years. Is there a way to attach an anode to such a rack or would simple non conductive insulation between panels and rack be the best answer?

Ron Young