[RE-wrenches] Whole house solar backup using service entrance conductors from utility - transfer switch or stacked inverters to get 200amp through during normal grid ops?

Howard "Scot" Arey scot.arey at solarcentex.com
Fri May 15 10:43:47 PDT 2015

Hi,

Situation is owner wants grid-tied battery backup.  200amp switch on side of
home with two main panels buried deep in this older home = limited ability
to create a critical loads panel.  House has poor solar siting and really no
space for battery room nor indoor space for Outback Radian setup.

Opportunity is that the meter and utility pole is right next to boat house
100 yards away.  This boat house has great potential for solar and the space
is perfect for batteries and inverters.

My goal is to do "whole house backup" with customer doing manual load
shedding as required.  I'd like to interconnect at the service entrance
conductors after the utility meter (next to boat house).

My dilemma is that the Radian has a 50-amp AC pass through rating so to
prevent a bottleneck (code violation, too?) I think I need to stack 4
Radians to get 200 amp pass through capability for when grid is operating
normally.

As you might see, this is quite expensive and I think over-kill for the
owner's backup power requirements.

I know there are whole house auto transfer switches for generators.

Question - is there some sort of whole house auto transfer switch where both
the grid and the backup position are open (still allows PV grid-tied
operations to sell back to grid and partially offset loads during normal
grid ops) but closes the grid connection during grid failures so that the
battery backup provides power (with 2 Radians only).

Howard "Scot" Arey

254-300-1228

scot.arey at solarcentex.com <mailto:scot.arey at solarcentex.com>